Every stakeholder of higher education has a role to play for quality enhancement and sustenance. The stakeholders such as the Government, management, teachers and students have an important role in ensuring quality of higher eudcation. The Internal Quality Assurance system strives to play a catalytic role in synergising the stakeholders efforts. The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) advocates the establishemnt of Internal Quality Assurance Cell by all the accredited institutions as a post accreditation quality sustenance activity. The University of Kashmir by taking a lead in this direction and established fulfledged Directorate of Inernal Quality Assurance (DIQA) after its first cycle of accreditation in 2002. The aim of DIQA is to develop a system for conscious, consistenct and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the University.
- Development and application of quality benchmarks/ parameters for the various academic and administrative activities of the University.
- Dissemination of information on the various quality parameters of higher education.
- Applying for various national and international rankings to check strengthes and weekness of University and monitor continuous improvement accordingly.
- Organisation of workshops, seminars, on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles
- Documentation of the various programmes / activities leading to quality improvment
- Preperation of the Annual Quality Asurance Report (AQAR) and Annual Report based on NAAC quality parameters.
- Calculating API of teachers who are due for next step of promotion under CAS and Open categories.
In pursuance of the National Action Plan of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) for performance evaluation, assessment, accreditation and quality up-gradation of institutions of higher education, the University of Kashmir has established Directorate of Internal Quality Assurance as a Total Quality Management (TQM) unit. TQM is a continuous process of developing a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the performance of the University. DAQA has, therefore, become a part of University system and works towards realizing the goal of quality enhancement and sustenance.
· To make quality, both academic and administrative, the defining element of higher education through a combination of self and external quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance initiatives.
· To stimulate academic environment of teaching-learning and research for fostering global competence.
· To promote collaboration with global institutions for undertaking quality related research studies, consultancy and training programmes.
Composition of DIQA:
DIQA operate its activities through two channels.
· Advisory Body
Under the chairmanship of Vice-Chancellor DIQA is guided by the Advisory Committee, constituted as per the NAAC recommendation. The Committee helps to generate and promote awareness as well as work out procedural details for bringing in qualitative changes in teaching-learning, research and administrative setup as well as in planning and development of DIQA. It also guides in creating methodological framework for evaluation and promotion of the activities of faculty and administration.
Networking of DIQA at Departmental level (DIQAU):
To give representative character for effective monitoring, management, organisation and assessment, each Department/Centre/Satellite Campus/Administration/Examination, etc elects one of their teacher/officer as Nodal Officer as the main functionary of the Department for DIQA activities. Each such Department / Centre, etc. has a unit called Departmental Internal Quality Assurance Unit, DIQAU that plays pivotal role in implementing policies for quality enhancement. Each DIQAU has maximum of seven members consisting of Nodal Officer, 3 faculty members, one representative each of scholars and students working under the chairmanship of HOD/Director. It helps in organizing academic and extracurricular programmes, extension lectures, workshops, seminars, etc. and encourages younger scholars and students to promote and adopt sustainable initiatives for value based quality education. The Nodal Officer establishes coordination among all stakeholders like students, scholars, faculty, administration, etc for promotion and management of quality education.
The network of DIQA was pivotal in exhibiting and presenting the information before NAAC Peer Team for assessment and accreditation of the University in May 2019. Due to the consolidated efforts of all stakeholders, the University was awarded “Grade-A+” by NAAC and is valid for next five years. The University has also placed among at 47th position among all the Universities of India in 2018 and at 53rd position in 2019 in National Institutional Ranking Framewok, besides, the University got 51st position in QS world Ranking of Universities.
To be a world class University committed create and disseminate knowledge for human development and welfare
To create intellectually stimulating environment, promote excellence in teaching, research and extension activities and facilitate academic freedom, diversity and harmony.